We have a selection of guidebooks to some of our most popular countries in Latin America. Written by our specialists, they detail destination information, a wildlife guide, some suggested itineraries and plenty more to inspire your holiday. Fill in the form below and if you live in UK, your guidebook will arrive by post within the next couple of days. For those who live abroad, we will send this via a PDF to your email.
Safety in Colombia
When travelling to Colombia one of the most frequently asked questions we receive is “How Safe is Colombia?” Yes, it has a dark and turbulent history, but the reality of Colombia today is very different. As one of the fastest growing economies in South America mixed in with its friendly people and wealth of natural wonders, it is fast becoming one of the hottest and most exciting destinations on the continent. Below the Latin America team have come up with several reasons to help ease any hesitations you may have on travelling to Colombia:
• For many years now Colombia has had a bad reputation that it is gradually shaking off, but a certain stigma remains around visiting the country which we are keen to combat. The majority of the problems in previous years were purely down to drugs, production of which, have now decreased by 60% and continues to decrease further as the country works hard on turning itself around.
• Statistics show that it is more likely you will be eaten by a shark in Australia than kidnapped in Bogotá, Colombia!
• In reality, the much higher danger is that you won’t want to leave when your trip comes to an end, which is something will happen to you when you’re there!
• As long as you use common sense and caution to avoid petty crime (more common in the cities), it is most likely you’ll have a trouble-free trip.
• We only send our clients to destinations approved by the FCO, and we are constantly monitoring any updates in this information.
• We work with excellent ground agents who will look after you in-country every step of the way. They even give you a mobile phone when you arrive so that you can contact them easily if needs be, and they’ll be in touch every few days to see how your trip is going.
• Having travelled extensively across the country as a team, we know the destinations like the back of our hand, down to the fine details such as restaurant recommendations in each place and the safest neighbourhoods to stay in, and always do our best to ensure every trip we put together is unforgettable.
• We offer some really interesting itineraries, some purely in-depth Colombia and others combining it with other places including the Galapagos and Panama; the possibilities are endless.
Top reasons why you should visit Colombia now!
• Without having 1 ‘stand out’ destination like a world wonder which is often a reason that sparks visits to places like Peru and Brazil, Colombia offers one of the best holiday destinations in South America boasting multiple highlights including breath-taking scenery and interesting culture. From vibrant Bogotá and the luscious coffee zone, to colourful and colonial Cartagena and Tayrona’s rustic Caribbean beaches, there’s something for everyone.
• The culture is extremely rich in Colombia, so for those interested in history, art or architecture, you’ll be spoilt for choice with Bogotá and Medellín’s museums and city architecture.
• You’ll find some of the world’s friendliest people there; they are so welcoming and full of smiles, and keen to help whenever – be it giving directions in the street or ordering you a taxi.
• Food! Not well-known for its food, Bogotá and Cartagena boast top-notch restaurants which we’ll be happy to recommend.
• Colombia is just emerging properly onto the tourist trail, so you’ll benefit from the charm of feeling quite off-the-beaten track in some places. This won’t last for long, as more and more people are gradually cottoning on to how incredible the country is, so you need to get there sooner rather than later.
Don’t just take our word for it; take a look at some of our client testimonies who have recently travelled to Colombia:
James Naylor Feb 2016:
“We felt very safe, in fact more than we would have in most English towns on a Saturday night."
James Naylor Feb 2016:
“Imagine’s organisation as well as their team on the ground was faultless. We had excellent guides and drivers, you were all extremely flexible; everything went like clockwork”.
Rich Gerstein Oct 2015:
“We had an amazing trip in an extraordinarily beautiful country”.
Sue Warner 2015:
“The entire trip was wonderful! Customer service from Sandros, who provided a mobile for contact at any hour of the day or night, was exceptional. Byron (guide) and Johnny (taxi driver who spoke English) deserve a special mention for being particularly engaging. Cartagena was a wonderful highlight and we were very glad we asked for 4 nights here; however the entire trip was perfect! The planting of a wax palm was a great touch!”
Client testimony March 2016:
“Colombia is such a varied country; I couldn’t single out one place as a highlight as we just loved everywhere!”
The bottom line is if you are considering Colombia, stop considering and get in touch so that we can help you plan the trip of a lifetime to this amazing country! For inspiration take a look at some of our favourite itineraries below:
Highlights of Colombia
Be enchanted by Colombia and discover the country's highlights, all whilst staying in luxury boutique properties along the way. Brimming with culture, colonial charm and dramatic landscapes, this itinerary is a great introduction to Colombia.
Experience an unforgettable adventure, packed with diverse landscapes, ancient culture and colonial charm. See the best of this magnetic country and discover one of the most bio diverse countries in the world.
Colombia and the Galapagos
This all-encompassing itinerary combines the best bits of Colombia with the Galapagos Islands. Discover lush dramatic landscapes, colonial charm, and an array of incredible wildlife, all whilst staying in boutique and characterful accommodation.