This itinerary offers a superb combination of safari in the Kruger National Park, a city break in Cape Town and the stunning mountain and vineyard scenery of the Winelands, really allowing you to get under the surface of South Africa’s highlights.
Highlights of Cape Town
Known as the Mother City, Cape Town has it all – history, culture, gastronomy and breath-taking scenery. Here we give you the low-down on our top Cape Town experiences and homes-away-from-home…
One of the things I love most about Cape Town is how compact and easy to explore it is, whilst at the same time offering so much to do! Whether you’re staying in the city, on the beaches or in the wine growing suburbs, you are never more than 30 minutes from all the areas you will want to tick off your bucket list.
Here are some of our top things to do in the Mother City, some obvious and others maybe not!
1. Take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain for amazing views of the city (and maybe abseil down!) – if you’re feeling particularly adventurous climb up Platteklip Gorge.
2. Absorb the deep and troubling history of Robben Island on a guided tour by a former inmate.
3. Get behind the wheel for a Cape Peninsular Road Trip to the Cape of Good Hope – take in the penguins at Boulders Beach and Chapman’s Peak Drive – one of the most spectacular stretches of road in the world!
4. Walk up Lion’s Head for sunset – don’t forget a bottle of Methode Cap Classique and some nibbles for the top. For added wow factor do this under a full moon.
5. Enjoy afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson – the Nellie is famous for its spread of gastronomic delights, featuring world-class patisserie as well as Cape classics.
6. Spend a day with Uthando visiting some inspiring community development projects in South Africa
7. Take a helicopter flip or paraglide over the city for breath-taking views!
8. Indulge in a day spent wine-tasting in the Cape Winelands – from group tours to tailored private tours of boutique wine farms, there’s something to suit everyone!
9. Arrive or depart Cape Town in style on a luxury train journey – book a ticket for either the Blue Train or Rovos Rail and experience train travel like you never have before.
10. Explore Cape Town on two wheels with an expertly-guided Bike & Saddle cycle tour, taking in the historic and iconic sights.
When it comes to accommodation, there is a fantastic choice of properties in and around Cape Town, and there’s certainly something for everyone. Here are my top picks:
1. The V&A – Cape Grace: Top service, incredible views, exclusive location – one of my favourites worldwide.
2. The City Bowl – Kensington Place: Boutique, personalised and within walking distance from the best restaurants.
3. City Beach – 52 de Wet: Sleek and contemporary with stunning views over the Atlantic seaboard.
4. Constantia (Wine Suburb) – Steenberg: Set on a working wine farm and home to an award-winning restaurant, this is a haven within easy reach of the city centre.
5. Cape Peninsula – The Long Beach: An exclusive stay on one of the best beaches in the Western Cape.
Contact our South Africa specialists...
Call us on 020 3141 2810 to take advantage of our latest opinions on the best places to stay, where not to miss, the budget you’ll need, the amount of time to spend and our favourite guides. We love nothing more than showing off our knowledge about South Africa! We can also help you put together some fantastic holidays combining Cape Town with other highlights in South Africa, safaris in neighbouring countries such as Namibia, Botswana and Zambia, and even the beaches of the Indian Ocean!